My name is Kevin, and for 6 years I am working as chief officer, mainly on working boats (multicats, tug boats). What I like about my job is: the freedom, the responsibilities, the opportunity to travel the world and meet new people, and above all: sailing and working on a ship.
Working as a Chief mate
The Chief Mate is directly responsible and accountable to the Master, and accepts the immediate orders and instructions issued by the Master.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Supervision of all ship activities.
- Responsible for safe navigation and ensure the crew is ready at all time to carry out the duties on board.
- Consultation with Project Manager ashore regarding the vessel’s production and work methods during the project.
- To maintain ships adminstration and personnel administration (e.g. ships log, daily report).
- Checking and maintaining of safety and environmental regulations (e.g. ISM & ISPS) on board.